If you are like me, you seriously look forward to your snack breaks in between meals. When the clock strikes 10 am, I know it is time for a delicious organic greek yogurt because my stomach is a grumbling. I used to not snack so much as I thought it was bad for me and I should just stick to my 3 main meals. I figured the less times I ate the better, and I could save some calories that way too. But I found that by the time my next meal came around I was ravenous and wanted to eat everything. Which usually lead me to eat a bigger meal than I really needed. Sound familiar?
A couple years ago I discovered how sensitive my body was to the dips in blood sugar I experienced after not eating every 3-4 hours and realized I should change my approach to eating. I now eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, with 3 main meals and usually 2 snacks. My 3 main meals are a little bigger than my snacks, but my snacks definitely hold me over until my next meal and set me up not to eat a huge serving. I never count calories, I simply eat until I am full and I find that by eating 5-6 small meals a day I get full a lot quicker than I did before when I was only eating 3 big meals.
So to avoid the craving for a huge meal, save you some calories, keep your metabolism humming along, and ultimately keep you slimmer … opt for a healthy snack in between meals. I like to have my snack in-between breakfast and lunch ( usually around 10 am) and in-between lunch and dinner (usually around 3:30 or 4 pm). I always try to make sure my snack has some kind of protein in it to keep me full and satisfied until the next meal.
Be sure to choose healthy and nutritious snacks to reap the benefits of snacking. Step away from the Cheez-It box, you will only end up eating the whole box ( it’s happened to me) and fill up on empty calories which will leave you hungry an hour later. To fuel up the right way and hold you over until your next meal, here are some of my favorites snacks to enjoy in between meals.
Kerry’s Favorite Snack Attack Options
- Apple and 2 tbsp of nut butter ( peanut or almond)
- Half an Ezekiel English Muffin with Laughing Cow Cheese wedge (the cinnamon is my favorite)
- Half an Ezekiel English Muffin with 2 tbsp of nut butter ( peanut or almond) and 1/4 banana sliced on top
- Half an organic grapefruit and a handful of almonds
- Fat-free organic plain greek yogurt with berries
- Fat-free vanilla organic yogurt with 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- Think Thin Crunch Bar
- Kind Bar
- Luna Bar
- Handful of Trail Mix
- Green Energy Smoothie
- Green Detox Smoothie
- Coconut Banana Chocolate Granola Bars
- Organic String Cheese with a small glass of Low Sodium V-8 juice
- 2 Tbsp of Hummus with organic veggies ( bell peppers, cucumbers and carrots)
- Mozzarella with tomato and basil stack
- Diced peaches or pineapple with low-fat cottage cheese
- Original Frozen Yogurt from Sweet Green or Pink Berry ( They serve the organic kind)
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- Walnuts and dark chocolate ( for that sweet tooth)
The key to successful healthy snacking is planning ahead. In the beginning of the week I bring in a bunch of snacks to work and store them in the fridge for the week. Or if you forget to pack your snacks, run out at to the grocery store at lunch and stock up on some healthy options. My work recently got a healthy vending machine, which I am loving on the days I run out of snacks. On the weekends when I am on the go, I always make sure to grab a healthy snack bar ( Kind, Luna, or Think Thin), an apple or some almonds for when my snack attack hits me in between meals.
What is your favorite healthy snack?