Yes, that is right, I want you to try a HIIT to get fit! I don’t know what kind of HIIT you think I am talking about, but this HIIT is the BEST way to see results fast and BLAST calories. HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training, which can be described as any workout that alternates between a burst of intense cardio followed by a fixed period of low-moderate intensity. These cycles of high- low intensity will whip your body into shape faster than any other cardio routine and will save you a ton of time!
I came across HIITS a little over 2 years ago and have been incorporating them in my workouts 2 times a week. I am a runner and used to only do long distance running, running anywhere from 45-60 minutes. While I still think it is important to incorporate some long distance running into your weekly workouts, it won’t give you the results you are craving. To get in bikini body shape you will need to put emphasis on HIIT routines over long distance runs for your cardio. Why?! HIIT burns more fat than any other cardio routine out there. The energy it requires to get your body from 0-10 in such a short amount of time blasts far more calories than a long run at a steady pace. Why do you think running backs and wide receivers are in such good shape, lean and have a six-pack ? The entire football game they are doing HIITs … switching from bursts of sprints down the field followed by a minute or two to recover until the next play.
8 Benefits of HIITs From SHAPE
- Efficiency– HIITS take only 20-30 minutes of your time. Research shows you can achieve more progress in a mere 15 minutes of interval training (done three times a week) than the girl jogging on the treadmill for an hour.
- Burn More Fat – The quick blasting cycles of HIIT burn not only more calories, but more fat too. Similar to strength training, your body will continue to burn fat and calories up to 24 hours after.
- Healthier Heart– Pushing your body to that uncomfortable limit where you feel out of breathe and your heart pounding will improve your stamina and strengthen your heart!
- No Equipment Necessary– Running, biking, jump roping, and rowing all work great for HIIT, but you don’t need any equipment to get it done. High knees, fast feet, or anything plyometric like jumping lunges work just as well to get your heart rate up fast.
- Loose Weight, Not Muscle – While steady state cardio seems to encourage muscle loss, studies show that both strength training and HIIT workouts allow dieters to preserve their hard-earned muscles while ensuring most of the weight lost comes from fat stores.
- Increase Metabolism– HIIT stimulates production of your human growth hormone (HGH) by up to 450 percent during the 24 hours after you finish your workout, which raises your metabolism!
- Do It Anywhere – Outside, on a track, on the beach, on a bike, on a tredmill, in your living room, or on vacation!
- Challenging– This is not an easy workout and your body will feel the burn and begging you to stop. Mind over matter. Change is uncomfortable and you have to push past the hurt to get the body you want!
Think back to high school and any sports you may have played. I played field hockey, basketball and lacrosse. Without realizing it, I was constantly doing HIITs throughout the game and was probably the reason I was in great shape, lean and had a 6-pack! Most of us don’t have our high school sports that can push us to do a HIIT routine, but we can certainly do them on our own and I am going to give you a few ideas and examples of how to incorporate this calorie blasting routine into your weekly workouts. Don’t like running? no worries, there are many HIIT routines you can do without running.
Examples of great HIIT Routines To Try
1. HIITs On The Tredmill
- Warm up for 2-3 minutes with alight jog at a 6.0 minute pace
- On a scale of 1-10, crank it up to an 8-9 and sprint your heart out for 1 minute
- Recover for one minute at a 6.0 to 6.5 minute pace
- Repeat 8 times for a 16 minute calorie blasting workout. Do this circuit twice through for an even better 30 minute HIIT routine.
2. HIIT Routines from the Tone It Up Gals
I did these during the Love Your Body Valentines Day Challenge and they are super effective and get your heart beating fast! You will definitely feel the burn after these routines!
3. Don’t llke to run? Try this for your HIIT fix and feel the burn EVERYWHERE.
To get in the best bikini body shape combine 2-3 days of HIITS a week with 3 days of strength training. I also like to balance out my week with yoga and a long run.