There is something about breakfast food that is so comforting to me, I could eat it for every meal. I love the gooey deliciousness of adding cheese to my eggs, just as long as I don’t overdue it of course. My version of a cheesy egg casserole is filled with veggies and low-fat so you won’t feel guilty eating it like you might eating one of those 600 calorie breakfast sandwiches found at many restaurants.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s super easy and a great make-ahead dish. Like I have mentioned before, I use Sunday as my planning day and I like to make a good breakfast dish that I can cook ahead of time and store in the fridge to make my mornings easier. I am usually hustling to get out of the house on time and in the past I would try to make myself a healthy omelette in the morning, but it just took too much time! My new bake ahead egg dish is just as satisfying and so much easier to ensure that I am starting the morning off with a healthy and nutritious breakfast. After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
My Easy Cheesy Healthy Egg Casserole is filled with veggies and packed with protein to give you all the nutrients you need to wake your body up, feel satisfied and have energy to start your day. When I eat a protein rich breakfast I can ensure that I will be satisfied and not looking for a tempting unhealthy snack mid-morning. So plan ahead and try this delicious recipe, it will make your mornings that much easier to already have breakfast ready!
Easy Cheesy Healthy Egg Casserole
- 1 1/2 cartons of organic egg whites, I use Organic Valley or 12 organic egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup organic zucchini chopped
- 1 cup organic broccoli florets cut up ( or use frozen and cook ahead and drain excess water)
- 2 cups of organic spinach ( or 1 cup frozen. Cook ahead and drain water)
- 1/2 cup of organic diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced organic mushrooms ( I use baby bella)
- 1/3 cup of white or yellow onion
- 2 pieces of organic canadian bacon ( no cancer causing nitrates!)
- 1/2 cup diced organic cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of shredded parmigiana
- 1/4 cup of organic low fat cottage cheese, I use Horizon
- 1/2 cup part skim organic shredded mozzarella, I use Horizon
- 2 Tbsp reduced fat grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- dash of lemon pepper seasoning
- dash of hot sauce
Preheat oven to 400F.
Cut all vegetables (except spinach) and canadian bacon. Add to a bowl. If using frozen, thaw in the microwave and remove excess water.
Add egg whites, whole eggs, spinach, cottage cheese, and shredded parmigiana.
Mix everything together and add to an oiled 9X13 baking dish.
Add shredded mozzarella and 2 tbsp of grated parmesan as topping and a few tomatoes for decoration :).
Bake for 40 minutes or until eggs appear cooked. I like to add a dash of lemon pepper seasoning or hot sauce to top the dish off. Enjoy!
This also makes for a great holiday brunch item, sure to impress your guests!