This cold weather is really starting to get to me! I walked to my Yoga class this morning at Lululemon and thought I was going to either freeze or blow away from all the wind. Not a good combination. This kind of weather really leaves me craving something warm and comforting. And this chicken tortilla soup is exactly that!
In the winter my husband and I like to have “Soup Sundays” to keep our belly’s warm and comforted from the brutal cold weather. This recipe is one of my go-to soups for an easy Sunday night meal. The great thing about this recipe is that it makes a big batch and we will have it for left-overs the rest of the week. Makes for a perfect healthy lunch too!
This recipe is gluten free, low fat, has a low glycemic index and is low sodium if you choose all low sodium can options.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Rotisserie Chicken ( organic if you can find it)
- 1 large carton of organic low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can of organic corn ( or half a bag of frozen)
- 1 can of organic black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 large can or organic diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 Tsp o chili powder (more if you want it spicier)
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp of Chopped Cilantro
- Non-Fat Organic Greek Yogurt
- Organic White Cheddar Cheese
- Tortilla Chips
Saute chopped onion and minced garlic with the olive oil in a large pot.
Add full can of diced tomatoes (with the juice) and chicken broth. Shred all meat from the whole Rotisserie Chicken. Drain corn and beans. Add all other ingredients.
Simmer for one hour, tasting along the way. Add salt or more spice if you think it needs more flavor.
Add chopped cilantro the last 5 minutes.
After serving add desired toppings. I usually add 1/4 of an avocado, 1 TBSP of plain greek yogurt, 1-2 TBSP shredded cheddar cheese, and a handful of crushed tortilla chips. Sometimes I will get the whole grain scoops and use that to scoop the soup. So good!!