That’s right, beets can help protect your heart and make it beat stronger! Medical research has proven that beets can improve your cardiovascular health and lower cholesterol. Not to mention they are also incredibly nutritious and provide your body with many nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, fiber, iron and vitamins A,C and B6.
Beets are considered one of the many superfoods and are a gift from mother nature herself. They are naturally oh so sweet and a beautiful crimson red. The natural pigments, called betacyanins, that give beets their color have also been proven to be potent cancer fighters. They also are high in folic acid for those mommies to be!
Do you want to improve your heart health, lower your risk of heart disease and fight off cancer? Well it is time to incorporate this tasty vegetable superfood into your diet and I can give you some ideas how :).
When I first heard of the amazing health benefits of beets I immediately wanted to try them out. My first experience with beets was out of can while in college and I definitely didn’t enjoy them that way. When I decided to buy them fresh I was slightly intimidated by these grungy looking roots and how to cook them, but quickly got over it once I had my final product.
My favorite way to cook beets is to roast them with a little olive oil spray and sprinkle them with sea salt. You will love the sweet and salty combo they deliver!
How to Roast Beets
1) To get started, cut the stems off your beets and wash over excess dirt. Once they are clean you can begin to peel the outer layer to reveal their crimson or golden color.
2) Once peeled, use a sharp knife to cut the beets in half. Be aware that your hands may stain from holding their strong color, but will wash away with a little soap and water. Arrange the cut beets on a baking sheet with tin foil and set your oven to 375F. Spray the beets with organic olive oil spray and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
4) Roast beets for 40-45 minutes. They will begin to brown at the edges when done.
You can enjoy beets as a side dish on their own, mix them in with other veggies or add them to your salad. My favorite way to eat them is in an organic spring mix salad with feta cheese, crushed pistachios and homemade balsamic dressing.
If you need a good balsamic dijon dressing, you have to try this one. It is the best I have ever had and the only one I will use on my salads. Not to mention it is better for you than bottled or restaurant made dressings because you can control what goes in it!
Balsamic Dijon Dressing
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1/4 cup white grape juice
Combine all ingredients in a dressing shaker and mix away!